1. Go to the NPPES website. (Means)
2. Click on the link that says “National Provider Identifier (NPI)“, which is for Health Personnel.
3. Gather necessary information, such as provider’s name and social security number, date of birth, country of birth and state, gender, mailing information, office location, phone numbers, state license number, email and a contact person who can receive information, such as office manager. Click on the “Online Application for an NPI” link once you have gathered all the required information and are ready to proceed.
4. Read the application instructions carefully and click on the link “Begin Application Form”.
5. Choose an NPI User ID, however the User ID should be something that you will easily remember as it cannot be altered and will follow you throughout your career as a physician or facility.
6. Choose an NPI password that should be between six and 12 characters long, containing at least one number and letter. For security reasons it should not be the same as your user ID.
7. Select a secret question and this will help you in case you forget your NPI password in the future and require a reset form.
Current NPI Application Steps Online
8. Fill out the application carefully, be sure to fill in all the application fields marked with an asterisk (*).
9. Fill in all pertinent personal information as requested.
10. Fill in the appropriate email address and provide all contact information as requested. Mailing addresses should reflect either the office or home address.
11. Please fill in the physical practical location address accordingly. The physical address must be the location of the operation practice and cannot be a PO box.
12. Fill in any medical or facility identification numbers, such as the UPIN number that was the old provider identifier number. However, if you do not have a UPIN, leave it blank.
List a contact person, who will be able to receive NPI information and fill in the contact email address and click “Submit”.
Tips and Warnings
- Please follow the navigation buttons during the application process carefully. Use the “Next” or “Previous” tabs and do not use the “Back” or “Forward” buttons on your browser.